Monday, September 22, 2008

Broken-Hearted...

I received an email last week from a fellow animal-lover/rescuer about some 2-3 week old kittens that had been found without a mother asking me if I knew of anyone who had a nursing mama cat. Well, after several days of asking around, I found one who was nursing kittens almost the very same age! I was so excited! And then my balloon burst...

Turns out the girl who had found the kittens also had a 3-year old child and trying to take care of ALL of them was just too much, so she took them to the local pound (of which I'm not a big fan) on Friday. When I heard that, my heart & gut just sank. I asked if maybe we could get them back, but after we called, turns out they put the sweet little babies to sleep immediately. My heart is just completely broken, and I do not know how people can even work there!

I'm not saying do not adopt from the pound by any means (you're likely to save a life, for sure!). PLEASE ADOPT -- from wherever!!! I guess I'm sort of playing activist here with this story, but THIS is exactly why I give my money to "no-kill" shelters, and why I support East Mississippi Animal Rescue -- because they actually care!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Supermom said...

I 100% agree!

Those poor kitties.

Folks... SPAY AND NEUTER!!!

12:31 PM  
Blogger KayJayPea said...

I'm one of those who likes animals more than most people, so it was sort of like a punch to the gut to hear this... The only good thing I can think of to appease my broken heart is that the little babies didn't have to starve to death all alone.... :(

And I agree -- SPAY & NEUTER!!! It's much cheaper & easier than trying to give away puppies & kittens all the time!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Memphis said...

It must be incredibly difficult to work in a place where you have to do that.

11:20 PM  
Blogger KayJayPea said...

I know it's something I could NEVER do... I hit a mockingbird on the way to work today and almost started crying!

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home