Monday, August 10, 2009

Prozac Nation.

It's funny, but when I was little, before I'd go to sleep my mom would do this routine with me where she'd tell me to think of pretty things. I would close my eyes & she would run her fingers over my cheeks & across my brow. And we'd go through this list. I think it was a way of preventing nightmares -- & it would always be, you know, pussycats & puppy dogs & balloons at the zoo. Sometimes she'd mention yellow submarines, stars in the sky, blackbirds flying overhead, trees in Central Park & even -- believe it or not -- that on Saturday I would get to see Daddy. Nothing that extraordinary, but when you're 4 years old, it's cats & dogs that make life worth living. And I kind of think it's maybe not so different now.

~ Elizabeth Wurtzel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home