Monday, January 29, 2007

Oh, Sweet Naïveté...

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
na·ive·té
/nɑivˈteɪ, -ˌivəˈteɪ, -ˈivteɪ, -ˈivə-/ Pronunciation Key - Spelled Pronunciation[nah-eev-tey, -ee-vuh-tey, -eev-tey, -ee-vuh-] –noun

1. the quality or state of being naive; natural or artless simplicity.
_______________________________


I like that. "Artless simplicity."

In a nutshell, that is my dog, Winston. Well, that, and I'd say a bit of gluttony & obliviousness as well. Sounds like a maddeningly lovely little dog personality casserole, huh? No, but seriously, he's impossibly adorable & a really loving little guy... he's happy as a freaking clam just taking life moment by moment, to the extreme. No plans. No ulterior motives. No places to be. No worries. Nada. Nothing. He's just here, and HAPPY to just BE. I'm extremely jealous, to be quite honest...

Anyway, what made me think of this is a little ritual that happens numerous times every night. Either Mattie or I (Winston only on the rare occasion - tsk, tsk...) will decide that it's time for the 2 of them to go outside & pee & poo & do all that fun stuff dogs are supposed to do outside -- an action which usually involves removing one or more of said dogs from the couch where they are snoozing away, or separating them while they play & growl & bark so loud that someone (ahem!) can't hear the TV over THEM!!!! Little shits.

You'll notice I mentioned that Winston rarely is the one to call an need-to-go-outside bathroom alert, right? Okay. Because of this, he just hangs out, goes about his day of simply being & not giving a damn. Suddenly, he hears the word, "......OUTSIDE.....", which must trigger some hyperactive, spastic, giddy, over-eager, me-me-me, hysterics-eliciting lobe of the canine brain somewhere in that tough little noggin & he just goes nuts... Absolutely fucking NUTS... as in "WHYDIDN'TITHINKOFTHISBEFORE!!! WESHOULDBEOUTSIDE!!! ALREADYHURRYSTEPONIT!!! NOWNOWNOWNOWNOW!!! OUTSIDE!!! EXCITED!!! OUTSIDEOUTSIDEOUTSIDE!!!!"-type of nuts... which then causes him to flail his entire 23+ lb. body at the window portion of my backdoor (I'm just waiting for his fat little ass to bust the glass, I swear!) as he proceeds to [over]act as if being on the other side of that door is the one & only thing in the world that he must do at that moment & he has wanted this so badly for so long & just knows that he has to be there NOW!!! (Mind you, mere seconds before, he was likely dead asleep) Aaaaargh!!! Then, the door opens, he gets what he thinks he wants, & he's immediately perfectly content & happy again. Pacified. Satiated. Life is so easy. No forethought. No planning. No worries. Life rolls along. Things just seem to happen for Winston. He's a happening kind of guy, I guess. Lucky dog.

"Artless Simplicity". It's right there in my sweet Winston. Now, how about some "ArtFUL Simplicity"? Either way, it's a lovely thing to see...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home