Friday, September 02, 2005

And I didn't even like the movie "Armageddon"...


Ar·ma·ged·don (noun): A decisive or catastrophic conflict.

Hurricane Katrina has been horrible. And we were blessed beyond comparison. No doubt most people have seen the coverage of the horrific "human stew" in New Orleans and the damage on the Gulf Coast, but let me tell you, the damages went ALL the way up into Mississippi. Any of you outside of the damaged areas have probably seen MUCH more coverage than any of us have since we have had limited access to power (mine finally came back on last night, and I literally ran out into my front yard, jumping up & down, waving & thanking the power people as they drove off -- I was a sight to behold, I'm sure)...

I watched WLBT's video via helicopter of the Waveland/Bay St. Louis/Biloxi/Pass Christian area on the Mississippi Gulf Coast (I think the worst one seems to be the "Third Trip" segment), and it literally brought me to tears. You simply cannot begin to imagine the devastation down there -- it is the worst thing I have ever seen. And the stories that are emerging from this are unfathomable. Looters pilfering dead bodies, a woman having a baby on a bridge and having its umbilical cord tied off w/ a shoelace, junkies shooting at and trying to steal drugs from helicopters bringing in medicine for a fix... A man shot his sister in the face over a bag of ice. IN THE FACE, people. OVER A BAG OF FREAKING ICE!!!!!!

New Orleans Warning
I'll elaborate on things more later, but suffice to say that every time I complain about something trivial like the lack of air-conditioning (mind you, it IS August/September in Mississippi, and for those of you who have never felt that, it's not fun), I need to drop to my knees and thank the good Lord that we only got it as bad as we did. God bless the coast -- they need it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home