Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The Blame Game.

It is sad that I cannot even read the news anymore without getting incensed about something. The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina is a horrible situation, but no one intended for it to happen like it has, and to imply that our President or anyone else would have delayed any relief based on race is absolutely ludicrous. Kanye West made an absolute ASS of himself on NBC's relief telethon, if you ask me. I would be ashamed if I were him, and as an American and someone who has been affected by the storm, I am ashamed OF him. He did nothing to help the situation, but much to add fuel to a fire that was already taking much-needed attention away from the real issues that are needing to be addressed. [What a f**king idiot -- I know he won't be getting any financial gain at my hands as I will now be avoiding him like the damn plague!] It's a terrible shame that we have sunk to a level that we let Hollywood & our own news media become our worst enemy.

Who knows why relief took so long, but dammit, just get on with it now and quit bitching!!! The fact of the matter is, you can never be prepared enough for a catastrophe like this, and our society has turned our government into the proverbial tit with a "feed me, feed me" attitude -- and we seem to have no problem whatsoever biting that very hand that feeds us. I'm all for helping those in need, but at some point, we all need to stand up and take responsibility for taking care of ourselves and each other as well rather than blaming others for not taking care of us.

THIS takes the words right out of my mouth. And for those of you not from the South or unfamiliar with the area, get mad if you wish, but it's the truth. Don't get me wrong, I have all the sympathy in the world for those suffering from this horrific tragedy, but to play the race card and attack everyone else for an uncontrollable natural disaster is just a cop-out. We need to be helping one another at a time like this, not causing more strain and problems!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Kimpossible said...

She's on it! Look out! Girl! I've never heard you so riled up!

I read the linked (from TIA) article and although I don't agree with all the opinions, I think about the same things all the time. What to do about people who won't (or can't) help themselves is one of the biggest challenges facing our country. And I know, because I've seen it first-hand, that poverty breeds poverty. The kids born to welfare families (like nearly ALL of my students in the Delta) really don't know how to escape. Often, NOBODY they know is a role model.

I recently read an article (if I knew how to link articles into comments then I would link it, but alas, I'm too lazy to attempt it) about the relocation of these people where the author, like I just recently wrote in my own blog, said that he hopes they can find a better life away from New Orleans. But then it went on to say that in studies where poor people have been relocated to middle class areas, it is only the children who end up doing better. The adults aren't able to break their habits and improve their lives. And for the children, their improvement is precisely because all of a sudden they aren't in school with thugs and pregnant middle schoolers. They have something to aspire to and they generally rise to the occasion.

So now I just hope that at least the children can make something better of themselves, whether or not the adults pull it together. And I have been hearing more positive media coverage, even from the left-wingers. Coverage that focuses on what to do now and interviews with people who are hoping for the best, which I guess is all we can do (other than give to relief efforts).

On a lighter note, I'd like to know ... are you still shitting Prada?

8:26 PM  
Blogger KayJayPea said...

I just get sick of the bitching & moaning & blaming rather than getting something done... although I have to agree with you -- there does seem to be more & more positive coverage coming out, which I am so happy to hear... But you make some good points, and I know you have more experience with this sort of thing than I do!!! I just hope something positive CAN and DOES come out of this in the end, at least for the children...

Oh, and I'm not shitting Prada right now as I have placed myself on a budget for a little while. I'm more of a T.J. Maxx-shitter at the moment... ;-)

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home