Sunday, February 26, 2006

Weekend Tidbits (Brace Yourselves -- Ha!):

Saturday:

I sat down on a dreary day just as "Annie Hall" was coming on tv, so of course I had to watch it. I swear, that is one of the most brilliantly written, directed, casted, etc. movies ever -- and, no, I'm not some huge Woody Allen fan or groupie (although I love me some Diane Keaton, even if she does have some of the most atrocious personal fashion sense I've just about ever seen). It's just that there are some of the most brutally honest situations, thoughts & comments in that movie, it's almost scary (as is the fact that it was made the year I was born!). If you have never seen this movie, or if it's been awhile, get thee to Blockbuster, Netflix, whatever, and rent/buy it... immediately, if not sooner!!!

[Alvy addresses a pair of strangers on the street]
Alvy Singer: Here, you look like a very happy couple, um, are you?
Female street stranger: Yeah.
Alvy Singer: Yeah? So, so, how do you account for it?
Female street stranger: Uh, I'm very shallow and empty and I have no ideas and nothing interesting to say.
Male street stranger: And I'm exactly the same way.
Alvy Singer: I see. Wow. That's very interesting. So you've managed to work out something?

(Note: I had to watch this movie in college for a class on the 1970's that I took under one of my history professors, Dr. McElvaine -- whose politics I do not always agree w/ as he is pretty darn liberal, but he made class soooooooo hilarious & entertaining!!! I had a friend who had a huge crush on him for that very reason. He also had us watching stuff like "Chinatown" & "Blue Velvet". One day, I was in Books-a-Million & picked up Life's Book on the 20th Century & saw that Dr. Robert S. McElvaine was one of the few historians tapped to write about different periods -- his forte' was the Great Depression. You have to admit, sometimes a liberal arts college isn't all that bad!!!)

Sunday:

Picture it: The sky is a crystal-clear color of blue, a shade of blue so lovely & rare that I'm not even sure if it has a J.Crew color name yet. I have just finished re-filling my collection of bird feeders outside, and I don't know how the hell they know it, but the birds are already swarming my yard again. For all you ornithologists out there, my backyard becomes a virtual open-air aviary whenever you put food out... (my grandmother wrote on the bottom of her Christmas yearly re-cap letter -- "Don't forget to feed the birds!!!" I take it to heart...)

Anyway, I'm sitting in a chair on my back porch, relaxing, just enjoying and relishing in the peace and quiet. Enjoying an absolutely beautiful day...

And then I look over to find that my angelic little female dog Mattie (self-proclaimed "Alpha Dog") has my adorable little male dog Winston (the "new man in town") cornered by the door, steadily mounting and humping him. Yet again. [I know it's a way of expressing dominance, but still. It might make the company a little uncomfortable.] And the worst of it? He usually doesn't care. This time, though, he got a little riled up and growled back. A little rough S&M, doggie style, eh???

I'm sorry I don't have a picture of it to share with you. No, wait, actually, I'm not. We're probably all quite glad.

Later... Okay, I know I made fun of the shows that were coming on the other night, but I'm shamefully here to admit that I let myself get sucked into one, "Dancing with the Stars", and I can't believe I have watched enough to be able to type the next words -- shame, shame... First of all, I have always been a fan of Jerry Rice -- he's a good ol' Mississippi Delta boy, but Stacy Keibler just got robbed. Anyone with 42" legs who can look & move like that, that's not normal. As someone who is usually the opposite of a female activist-type, I still say "what the hell?" I don't know, maybe I just thought the girl could dance. Rest assured I wasn't so into that I called & voted or anything, I can assure you. But I still thought the bitch was good... Anyway...

The only (not the random tangent I went off on there) reason I'm mentioning this is because that show just allowed me to see one of perhaps the funniest things I have ever seen: Master P dancing to Elton John's "Saturday Night's All Right for Fighting" -- rock on, man!!! Oh, come on, that's some funny shit... admit it.

I should be ashamed. But I'm not. ;)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be ashamed..... welcome to the dark side....LOL
YES I watched Dancing with the stars... only because it was the only thing on the TV at such a late hour and I was bored one evening... long long long time ago.... and oh to heck with it... I watch Reality shows and I am proud of it!
I agree... Stacey was robbed! She should have at least finished 2nd. I am glad Drew won!!! He is so cute! Master P dancing...was just wrong! Damn funny.... But so wrong!!!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Kimpossible said...

I am not the friend who was crushing on Dr. McE, but I also had him for a women's studies class and as a result, I vote DEMOCRAT. Lord, help us all.

Kim

11:27 PM  
Blogger KayJayPea said...

Kim:

1. Yea, me!!! I was able to write "Kim" instead of "Kimberly"!!!

2. I loved me some McElvaine, but I still vote with Grand Ol' Party... I know you're shocked...

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home